Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Conundrum...

I am not sure what to do. Shawn will be going out of town (to China actually!!) for work soon and I have an event that I would like to attend while he is away. Let me preface this by saying that we have been Annie's only caregivers from day one. We haven't had a babysitter or anyone else taking care of her. Other than when she is sleeping (and even then), she has had either her Mommy or her Daddy in her line of sight. We are very invested in attachment parenting Annie and we have just celebrated eight months of being a family!!
Anyway, I am not sure what to do. The event is in the evening and I could put her to bed and then go out but I if she wakes up and we aren't here to comfort her - I just don't know. Shawn and I have been really good at alternating if we want to go out for an evening with friends or we have people here. We have had some movie and dinner "dates" in the evening after Annie is asleep so we don't feel as though we are missing out on couple time either. This is just an event that I would really like to attend and he will "happen" to be out of town. There are a few people that I would feel very comfortable leaving Annie with - even if she isn't!!Any thoughts?

5 comments:

A Beautiful Mess said...

that is a tough one....can you put her in a carrier and bring her with you??? You mentioned that there were people that YOU felt comfortable leaving her with...does she feel comfortable with them?? If she is I say go for it, if she doesnt see them often maybe have them spend more time with her before you go to the event.

good luck!

Wanda said...

What are the chances she will wake up? Does she do this regularly?

I think it's wonderful that you are so committed to attachment parenting but I think 8 months is not too early to go out after she's asleep with someone she is very comfortable with there in case she wakes up.

With our first daughter (she'll be 7 in March) we waited too long before we left her and she has never been comfortable - may never be.

I think I would go. Good luck with your decision.

Catalyst Of Calamity said...

I think if you decided to go to the event and leave Annie home I would have her stay by herself with the chosen caregivers when she's awake for some short periods of time first. I think it would be too confusing and scary to wake up at night and be without Mom and Dad for the first time. Better to have her first experience it when she's awake and can maybe process "Mommy goes away and then Mommy comes back" a little better. It is a conundrum though and I totally get why you're torn about it!

Red Sand said...

It's tricky to tell. We are trying to do the attachment parenting too, but we're also listening to the signs from the boys as they get more comfortable. I suspect it will depend on each child. We've done a little bit of time away from our boys and haven't seen any negative reactions, but we've always made sure they know the people they are with.

Kristine said...

Thanks!!!! I can't take Annie as it is an adult event and yes, she generally sleeps the first part of the night without waking - that is the only reason I would even consider going out after she is asleep. Annie does wake up with inconsolable crying which can be heartbreaking to deal with but it usually doesn't happen at this time of night.
Ugh. And no Shirley, you can't sit for her that night because you are going to the event!!!!!!! Still thinking...