Monday, May 4, 2009

Being at home...

While I was working, I dreamed of being home all day with my little girl. I thought of all of the things that we would do together. We would go to the library, we would go to play groups, swim at the pool, cook together, play together, sleep in until 8am and have a wonderful life.
It is a wonderful life in many ways but the 8am that she slept in to stopped as soon as Daddy went back to work. This morning, it was 6am. Annie's crib is right beside our bed so I was woken with "Mamamamamamamamama" and a whack in the head. Nice. I refuse to get out of bed until 7am so we go use the potty and then climb back into bed. For an active 14 month old, the bed is like a jungle gym and luckily all I have to do is lay around while she uses me as a trampoline BUT we don't get up until 7am!!!!!!!
As for going out and doing activities, well our little miss adventure must nap in the morning during the time that all of these activities are available. Yep, afternoon naps aren't really her thing but after getting Mommy up at between 5:45 and 6 am, she MUST nap for at least 2 hours starting at around 9:30 am. We tried to change it, we worked at it but the afternoon nap stayed at 45min and she was VERY grumpy and whiny, falling asleep anyway. Oh well, from what I understand from other Mommies, this too will change as she is in nap transition.
So, the dreams have clashed with reality, imagine that!!!
Right now, we are baby proofing the house with Annie's help!!! Colleen came and we tried to put the baby safety locks on the cupboards before we went to China but it didn't work. Colleen said that maybe our daughter wouldn't be into things. Well, SHE IS!!!! Annie is bright, inquisitive and a little explorer, all wonderful things unless she gets into Daddy's collections. Nothing motivates a man to move his guitar faster than a 14 month old pulling it over!!!!!!!
So being at home is lovely. I like the fact that I don't have to leave the house early every morning and I am learning to be a slave to my 14 month old master. It is taking time for her to whip me into shape as I do have my own ideas but she is wearing me down!!!!! Being at home is nothing like I imagined but it is a very nice place to be right now...

2 comments:

4D said...

Sounds like it! Love the early morning gymnastics part.

Keep smilin!

Kayce said...

I love your rule of not getting out of bed until 7am!! LOVE IT!! Glad you guys are doing good. Hugs!