Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Coming into her own...

Annie has been very co-operative with us. She seemed to listen and respond to the "no" routine. Well, that is all starting to change as she becomes more attached to us and comfortable in her life here.
So the first thing is food in the hair. Yep, gobs of it. For quite some time, she allowed me to put her hair up and put clips in it. Not so much now - if she can reach them, she rips them right out. I put a ponytail in the back of her hair and now I am using my hair elastics because the fuzzy ones she just takes out. The problem is with her bangs -potato, banana, pasta sauce, yogurt etc etc all end up in her hair. I want to grow her bangs out because they are bothering her but she won't let me clip them back so... fun!!! I figure that the hair thing she can win. If she doesn't want her hair up, she doesn't have to have it up but we have to clean it after every meal and every night now and she REALLY doesn't like it that!! A natural consequence. The other day she had egg salad all through it and Shawn said not to worry, all the girls he knew growing up used to put egg and mayo in their hair!! Too funny but he is right.
We are pretty thrilled that she is feeling comfortable enough with us to assert herself. I am pretty much ignoring the food in the hair because saying "no" just engages her - like yesterday's "yes"!! We have decided to save the "no" for serious things like electrical cords, outlets and generally dangerous behaviour.
My time on the computer is up, Annie is here and I have to run!!

No comments: