Wednesday, June 3, 2009

It makes you think...

Annie and I had a very busy day that started with a swing at the park, a visit to our garden to water, a visit to a playgroup, a quick sleep while we walked home, part of the afternoon in her little pool for the first time and a long nap.
So, what makes me think is the fact that Annie has been inconsolable this afternoon. She cried her heart out when I put her in the pool - I picked her up quickly and cuddled her until she calmed down. I then got into the pool and she came in with me. She was fine after that and the weird thing is that she LOVES water. Her "splish splash" is her favorite part of the day!!! Then during her nap, she cried in her sleep for about 3 minutes. When she had been asleep for 2 1/4 hours (her normal nap time), she started crying again. I went in to see her and she was crying inconsolably but still sleeping. When Annie didn't wake up, I rubbed her back and her legs to try and comfort her a little, telling her that I was there. This didn't work at all so I picked her up and she cried and cried in my arms for about 10 minutes. After this I gave Annie her favorite snack and she wanted to be in my arms while she ate it. For dinner, I again, gave Annie her favorite foods which included cheese, lemon rice, cucumbers, tons of honeydew and blackberry yogurt!!! She just seemed to "need" special things and time from me today.
So Daddy is now putting her to bed but even during their special time she wanted me tonight to hug, kiss and cuddle her. She isn't going to sleep very well tonight either!! I can hear her in the monitor. Poor Shawn!!

So what makes me think is today is June 3rd, the 20th anniversary of the deaths at Tiananmen square. It just makes me think...

2 comments:

A Beautiful Mess said...

kristine,
This was our experience...the more attached Sophie became to me the "safer" she felt to let out those fears that she is unable articulate. You may want to try you being that "primary" caregiver while she goes through another transition in her attachment. I know it is hard being a stay at home mom, I have been there at the door handing the baby to my husband before I even said hello. But give that I try and doing lots of attachment activities.

good luck and give annie a smooch from her NC auntie!

Kristine said...

Yea, I ended up bein the one to put her to sleep last night. She wouldn't sleep unless she was in my arms. Lots of rocking and snuggling 1 1/2 hours later and she slept through the night, not waking up too early.
We are having a "home" day today - just Annie and I. We have company this weekend so I thought it might be a good idea.
Hugs accepted and sent right back to you!!!!!